CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Homemade yummy smellies for the home

It's that time of the year again ladies and gents!   Time to start making the house smell yummy is what I mean of course!!  ; )

There are any number of store bought smellies you can purchase at the store, most all of which are toxic.  They smell REALLY yummy, I agree.  But the toxicity is not worth it to me.  I have a couple of simple and inexpensive ways to make your home smell pleasant and you can make them at home!

My favorite of the two I will be talking about today is taking orange or apple or tangarine or lime or lemon (you get the picture) peel and putting them in a small saucepan.  You can mix them up or just use one type of peel at a time...whatever tickles your fancy at the moment.  Then you fill up the pan about 3/4 of the way full of water.  You can then add some yummy spices if you'd like.  My personal favorites are cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger.  Then bring the mixture to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce heat and keep at a low simmer.  Be sure you watch for the water level in about an hour (depending on the size of your saucepan).  I LOVE the way it makes my house smell!!

My next suggestion is equally inexpensive and easy.  Purchase your favorite smelling flower or herb (dried).  Bruise about 1/2 cup of the dried flower or herb in a pestle and mortar, or just put them in a ziploc bag and rub between your hands for about 30 seconds.  Take the dried flowers/herbs and mix with 1 cup of baking soda.  Spread the mixture on your carpets.  Leave for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.  Then vacuum.  It works!!  My favorite is lavender.  This mixture also looks nice in a glass container and can be given away as a gift!!

Do you have any additional suggestions?  I would love to hear them and try them out for myself!!

2 comments:

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Vanilla and cinnamon in a pyrex oven safe dish and on a low temp place in oven... Realators recommend this when selling it makes the house smell homey and inviting...

Debbie said...

Oooo, I like that!

Post a Comment