CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 21, 2011

You can laugh if you want...I don't mind.

I just got finished ironing (yes, I said ironing) 55 pieces of gift wrapping tissue paper.  "Why?", you ask...well, at my baby shower, I made mention of all the gift bags and tissue paper there were.  Our generation is just not into wrapping packages with wrapping paper.

I have been saving bags for a couple of years now to reuse as those puppies are EXPENSIVE!  I thought to myself at my shower, "I wonder how big of a deal it would be to reuse tissue paper?".  My friend Autumn told me that her mother irons the tissue paper to reuse.  What a great idea!!

Now, a couple of months ago, this thought would never have crossed my mind.  I too would be laughing at me.  But now, with the cost of food going crazy and gas prices estimated to be at or near $5.00 per gallon by summer...we ALL need to cut costs where we can.  Every dollar counts when a family is existing on one income and when that family is soon to be expanding!!

So, here is the low down.  It took me a little over an hour to iron 55 pieces of tissue paper.  It would have not taken me as long had I got the idea to fold the tissue in HALF earlier in the process.  DUH!

Anyhoo...at Target, the little packages of colored tissue paper are about $1.99 for 6-8 sheets.  So I figure (at the rate of 8 sheets = $1.99) I saved myself at least $13.69 (plus tax) on tissue paper.  Crazy huh!  AND I have an assortment of colors!  There were a total of 10 colors of tissue paper.

The big question is...would I do it again?  You betcha!!  I would probably not iron a couple tissues at a time, I would save them up so I have a large amount to iron again.  It always seems to save time when you do a repetitive task on a large quantity all at one time as opposed to doing it in small batches.

So like I said, you can laugh if you want to...I don't mind!!  : )

5 comments:

Kristen Duffy said...

Debbie, you might be frugal, but you are an inspiration! I may be bugging you a lot more for tip in a few months when I can finally say "Bye!" to my second job and am home with the kids more.

XOXO, Kristen

Cheryl Torres said...

Fantastic idea!! I never would have thought of that, even as simple as it is. People can laugh at me too because I'm copying you on this ;) I already recycle bags, but this tissue idea is great! I love reading your blogs!!

Anonymous said...

Not laughing at all!! I'm going to do that since I have a birthday coming up!! I may not actually "iron" them since I've had a few iron burns in the past few years, however I may just sit on them!! LOLOL Good job Deb :)

Becky said...

oh my...I LOVE IT! That absolutely rocks!

erstan said...

That's my girl! I ironed the wrapping from my wedding gifts and reused. (that was 46 years ago)Also, reused the bows:)

Post a Comment